And the quality of training, as you know, depends on three main factors: health status, functional parameters and an adequate recovery process. However, the desire to be on top sometimes overpowers logic. And intense training without a clear plan leads to overtraining and even injury. What does it take to train effectively and safely for your health?
Keep your finger on the pulse
Everyone who is involved in cyclic sports (running, cycling, etc.) knows: in order to achieve a good result, you need, first of all, a healthy heart and joints. You should also have good speed-strength and aerobic endurance, as well as a high reaction rate. It is also important to mention that the athlete's body should have a low (relative to the average population values) level of fat reserves.
If you are seriously fond of jogging or, for example, decided to try your hand at triathlon, you will need to comprehensively check your body. Advice within the framework of the third International Convention on Cyclic Sports - 3Start Convention - was given to Linda Elena, Chief Physician of the Heraklion Med Sports Medicine Center, Physician of Functional Diagnostics and Sports Medicine of the Highest Category:
- Determine body composition - for example, perform densitometry, which allows you to accurately examine your bones, adipose tissue and muscles. You can choose the biompedance method, but it is important to undergo examination on the same apparatus, because its data may have an error depending on the location of the sensors in different clinics or sports clubs;
- Take a biochemical blood test (including lactate to determine your anaerobic threshold);
- Exclude metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance), which can become a risk factor for the development of cardiovascular diseases;
- Find out your basal metabolic rate (determining the required level of kcal consumption for your body);
- Checking the feet (podoscopy) - this is especially important for runners.
Work for results, but wisely
The right approach to training will help you avoid sports illnesses that are commonly found in cyclic sports. Often, amateurs who are keen on sports, in the wake of their first successes, give themselves great loads, without first knowing their maximum capabilities. Some do not adhere to any clear training regimen at all, and then, for example, try to run a marathon on the run.
And if the body of young people is more resilient, then problems often occur for those who suddenly decided to start seriously training at the age of 32 years. Therefore, it is very important to undergo a number of examinations - first of all, on the state of the cardiovascular system.
“Some people go to the races as if they were a 'get-together. And then we find them in the bushes, - Elena tells Linde. "They don't even think about how important it is to prepare for serious distances, and they also have no idea what an athlete should have with him during the race (for example, some medications), how to behave after."
- Eating after a serious race should be no earlier than an hour later, otherwise it can cause a deterioration in well-being and even vomiting;
- If you decide to overcome a long distance "on willpower", your CPK (creatine kinase) level may sharply increase, and this is a clear sign of overwork and muscle breakdown, which requires urgent recovery.
Have a good rest
As you train and improve your skills, remember the importance of recovery and rehabilitation. It is impossible to give unambiguous recommendations for everyone, they depend on the individual characteristics of the athlete.Often our feelings do not reflect the presence of malfunctions in the body, but accumulating, they can result in one big problem. That is why it is so important to monitor your body, in consultation with a trainer and doctors. To train effectively while increasing performance, it is important to keep immune, biochemical and genetic factors under control.
In particular, many turn a blind eye to the recommendation to avoid physical activity during illness, even the common cold. “Serious complications are likely, which you may not even notice,” says Linde Elena. - For example, the heart rate interval may increase. Also, a frequent negative consequence of training with colds is latent myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle."
Experts recommend using regenerating creams and peptide complexes for tissue regeneration, combating hematomas, edema, strengthening the ligamentous apparatus, improving metabolism, and immunity. According to Linde Elena, ultraphonophoresis promotes the rapid penetration of drugs into tissues using ultrasound. You can also choose individual physiotherapy procedures and special underwear with specialists.
If you plan to play your favorite sport for as long as possible and achieve good results, meticulously monitor your performance and remember the importance of recovery. In the end, you need to practice with pleasure and health benefits, and not in spite of something.